What isn’t safe to consume during pregnancy
- Alcohol – There’s no way to know how much alcohol is safe so it’s safest to avoid it completely
- Caffeine – Caffeine found in tea, coffee, and some soft drinks, crosses the placenta to reach your baby.
- Raw, under-cooked non-vegetarian food – Raw or under-cooked meats may contain a parasite.
- Eggs – Raw, runny, and under-cooked eggs.
- Fish and seafood- Some types of fish contain unsafe levels of mercury, which can affect your baby’s nervous system. Raw seafood may contain bacteria, parasites, and worms.
- Liver and liver products – The Liver may contain large amounts of retinol, the animal form of vitamin A.